Sunday, January 11, 2009

A few photos...

We don´t have much in the way of training on the weekends, so we´ve used our free time to explore, eat, sample the night life, catch up on the NFL playoffs, and do nerdy things like update blogs. Here´s a few photos from the first few days in Orosi. I´ll post more at some point, but they´re taking forever to upload because I sized them too big.


Team Ganamos (Jonathan and I) after winning the 3-legged race. I´m showing off my trophy (aka a pen), because I didn´t really win too many of them when I was younger.

Un gallo. They greet me every morning when I walk to our meetings. And by ¨greet,¨ I mean completely ignore me as I tell them that they´re my friends in Spanish. Me encanta gallos.

We took a guided hike up into the mountains with a local legend named Nano. I´ll be adding more about him later, but basically he lives the life that we all wish we could: he lives in the mountains in what amounts to a two-story fort that you would have killed to have when you were ten years old. He grows coffee and gives tours of his mountain farm for about $1.70 per person. Here, he´s bathing in his waterfall for our amusement. (He also speaks the clearest Spanish I´ve come across yet. He spoke for about 4 hours straight and I didn´t miss a thing.)
The ¨inside¨ of Nano´s house, which really isn´t inside at all due to the lack of real walls or ceilings.
Nano swings from his vine swing. Other people got a photo of me doing it/hanging on for dear life.
Looking out on Orosi over the terraced coffee fields. The plaza is the green field in the middle, directly to the left is the oldest operating church in Costa Rica (over 300 years old).