Saturday, March 14, 2009

Diablitos video



Hostel Pangea, San Jose -
I'm in the city for the weekend to hang out with some volunteers that I haven't seen since Un Techo Para Mi Pais over a month ago. This place has a lightning quick internet connection, so I was finally able to upload the video of the Diablitos to YouTube.
So, what in god's name is going on in the video? Well, it's a demonstration of a three-day festival held in late December/early January each year. Borucans are indigenous people, meaning that they were in Costa Rica before the Spanairds started settling/taking over in the 1500's. The guys dressed up as Diablitos ('little devils") represent the Borucans, and the man dressed up in the bull suit represents the Spanairds. Essentially, they yell at each other and fight, with the Borucans eventually coming out on top.
This all took place on the street right next to my backyard. I was lucky enough to get a good seat for the performance, so there's no heads in the way. I did, however, almost get rammed by the bull a few times as he went after any Diablitos that came near my spot. You might also hear a few short explosions. Borucan boys love their fireworks, and set off M-80ish ones at all hours of the night... usually in the centro in front of my house. Here, they were just throwing them at the feet of the performers, trying to mess them up.
That's all I have for now. Now that I know that this place can handle uploads, I'll try to get some videos of my classes/students up as well. (Like, say, my first graders singing "Hello Teacher" for the 300th time and still loving it.)
Once again, thanks for the e-mails and messages. Talk to you all soon.

All the best,
Dan